It was quite the battle: skipped stitches, broken needle, great efforts of forearm strength…but in the end, I got her finished, :). I’ve had my eye on the Factotum tote pattern since I saw it make an appearance in the Bag of the Month Club, but I was not a member. So I waited 6 months for it to become available, and then a few more to actually make it.
Love this tote, perfect to store all my teacher and graduate work items.
I will not lie, this tote took me a long time to make. Working on it off and on, I was able to finish it within a few weeks. There are a lot of pieces, so cutting took awhile. And so many pieces to fuse interfacing onto. So satisfying to finish though. Watched a lot of Netflix, ;). I will say that turning the back inside out took a lot of effort, that stabilizer does its job very well.
Here is an image of the exterior bag before I put the lining in. Proof I made it, ;).
The directions were phenomenal! So detailed with written directions and pictures. They were also 56 pages long to give you an idea of the depth of this project. The first 8 pages are just fabric and materials information and the prep work.
Let’s talk materials. I saw the kitty fabric at Jo-Ann’s and just knew I had to use it with my tote. I didn’t want a white tote for cleaning reasons, so I used the kitty fabric as the exterior accent fabric and here-and-there on the inside for pockets, etc. I used quilter’s cotton, all from Jo-Ann’s, for the fabrics. I used Flex Foam from Jo-Ann’s for the stabilizer. I purchased my interfacing from Got Interfacing. It’s 45″ wide!!! For the plastic template, I wasn’t sure what to use and I ended up using plastic school folders, which worked out great. I purchased plastic corrugated board from Home Depot for the bottom. My hardware was purchased from Emmaline Bags except for my snaps, I used sew-on snaps from my stash. Also, I used 3/8″ Chicago Screws instead of rivets, but 1/4″ would have been perfect as the 3/8″ were a little too long. Zippers are all YKK from my local sewing store except for one. As I accidentally purchased the wrong size for one of the pockets, one of them is a white Coats and Clark I luckily had in my stash. I rarely use fusible fleece, so used some sew in from Wal-Matt, which is also where I purchased my Peltax. This project uses an array of materials, it is so well thought out and structured.
Yep, a simple plastic folder like this one:
I get compliments all the time on this wonderful bag. I love all the pockets! Originally I had planned to use it as my carry-on for a flight, it fits within the dimensions, but I fear I would have no foot room. Overall the pattern is well-written and the bag is amazing. I have to convince people that I made it myself, ;).
The recessed top portion:
The awesome back with yet another pocket, :).
The cute peek of cat fabric from one of the many pockets.
This zipper stop took me a bit to sort out, but eventually, I glued it on and got the screw to screw in.
The front pocket! It has pen holders, slip pockets, a divider, and another zipper pocket.
The stay straps for the outside pocket. And my logo of course.
And here is a closer image of the snaps holding the front pocket in a bit: