Hello there! I’ve had this suit finished for about a month now but am just now getting to writing about it, ;). It’s been a busy month! The suit turned out fantastic! I just love it and have plans to make another variation of it with pants and then turning the suit top into a vest.
This is the suit front:
And the back:
This was my first attempt at making a suit for myself and the second advanced pattern I’ve tried, so I was very happy with the results. The most difficult task for me was fitting the pattern to myself. I first adjusted the pattern pieces, then cut out a muslim mock-up before sewing the actual fabric together. It was a few extra steps but definitely worth the additional time!
As for this current project I’ve heard stories on how difficult piping can be but I found it to not be too bad. Granted, my sewing machine does not like sewing piping, or zippers for that matter, but it is a basic Singer Simple, so not that surprised. I ended up hand-sewing all the piping. Now you may be saying “Oh wow!” but for me hand-sewing can be quite relaxing and definitely less stressful than fighting my machine! I also added contrasting hand-pick stitching around the back of the suit collar to top stitch the facing into place. I also love my fabric covered buttons and how well they bring the contrasting pink fabric together.
I did have a little trouble with putting the piping into the welted pockets but overall feel it turned out very nice. The sleeves were very easy to do once you sort out which way to fold the fabric. And the living matches my accents making it gorgeous on the inside as well as the outside.
Below are some photos of the suit detailing: