Finally getting around to making these pants from the pattern Simplicity 2860. Love the idea of slim, average, and curvy shaped pieces. I went with curvy based off of my crotch length and depth per the measuring advice and a size 16. I added an inch to the crotch length per my measurements adding half an inch to the back and the front pattern pieces. I probably would have been better with a size 14. I notice that happens often, I measure to match a size 16 but I always end up taking it in and wishing I’d started with the size 14.
Overall fit is good. Front looks great, side looks good, back has weird lines. So I started researching advice for fitting pants and found some great resources. For this pair I used:
The below collage is my first attempt, the back needed fixed and maybe the sides taken in a little.
Then using Colette’s Cheatsheet I thought the issue was crotch depth due to seeing what looked like to me as “smiling lines”, so I lowered the crotch. I also tried taking in the inner thighs, the outer leg seam, etc. As can be seen below none of these helped resolve tha back issue.
Then I read through the sew-a-long by A Fashionable Stitch and tried adjusting the inner thigh by taking out the back and leaving the front as is. Basically I made the front the 5/8″ seam allowanace and used a 3/8″ seam allowance on the back piece. As seen below this had a MUCH better effect on the lines in the back. Yay!
Still not done but finally getting there. I will also be adding simple side seam pockets because everyone always needs pockets!
Learning a lot about pants in making this pattern. They seem so simple with so few pieces, but getting the fit right in the back has been a trial. Maybe the average with only one back dart would have been better but working with what I have at the moment.