Yay! I have completed my very first swim suit and matching cover up and both turned out great! After wearing the bikini to the beach there are a few things I would change but nothing major, just some tightening here and there. I used views C/D for the top and H for the bottoms of McCall’s 5400.
First I made an FBA by layering the C/D piece on top of the A/B piece and adding their difference to the C/D piece to make it closer to a DD. I usually wear a 34DD, and in this case I chose pattern size 14. Other than the FBA I didn’t make any changes to the pattern pieces.
I decided to fully line the bottoms, so I basted the pieces together before sewing them together. The other change I made was instead of zig zagging the sides after I flipped the elastic under I used a twin needle straight top stitch. This helped finish the inside seams and gave the outside a professional look. I also hemmed the loose end of the crotch piece.
For the top I added swim suit cup pockets and inserted cups I ripped out of a used Sports Bra from a thrift store for $3.99, much cheaper than purchasing swim wear cups from the local store. For the cups I just cut out 2 additional top pieces of lining without the halter strap part and sewed the 3 layers together like you would the 2 per the instructions.
And voila, a pretty swim suit that looks store quality with almost perfect fit, :). The fabric was a performance spandex I had leftover from my leggings project from Jo-Ann’s, lining was also purchased from Jo-Ann’s.
And some photos of me enjoying it at the beach:
As for the cover up I pretty much sewed it together as is with no fitting adjustments, also a size 14 using a cotton gauze from fabric.com and skipping the facings. Instead I just put in narrow hems. Was super quick! Had it put together in less than 2 hours.