As soon as I saw the new Wren dress pattern by Colette Patterns I knew I had to have it. Love the look and lines of both versions and lucky me, I had enough fabric to make both in my stash! I decided to make the Version 2 first with the flared skirt and love it.
After reading a few reviews I made a few changes. First I lengthened the bodice by 1/2″ in the front and back and added a 3″ FBA to the front as well. This was a little tricky and took me about an hour and 10 trials but finally figured it out. I used the tutorial by Jennifer Lauren. She wrote up a great step by step tutorial on adding an FBA to a knit garment without adding in bust darts. It still pulls slightly but overall it fits really well. As a result I ended up adding about 1 3/4″ of length to the neckband facing portion. Then for the skirt since I wanted it longer for work I added 3″ of length. That was easy enough to do just but cutting along the slash lines and adding some extra paper.
So for Version 2 I wanted something flowy and had the perfect floral knit in my stash from a Jo-Ann’s purchase many years ago.
The overall construction was pretty easy until I got the to the sleeves. I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t realize I had started following Version 1 instructions for the top pieces, oops! So the sleeves were sewn on after I had already stitched up the side seams. Just made it a little trickier. Then I tried to make attaching the skirt much harder than it was. I found some clear elastic but it wasn’t the best quality so I ended up just using some 1/4″ knit elastic I had in my stash and it worked out great. I used my twin needle on my regular Brother cs6000i for the hem of the neckband facing, sleeves, and skirt and serged all of the other seams with my Brother 1034D serger. I had this dress together pretty quickly, within a few hours, :).
The other major change I made was to add pockets. I think I added them a little too low (placed them 3″ below the waistline). I used a pocket pattern piece from another pattern and cut out 4 pieces from the same dress fabric. They aren’t perfect pockets by any means but they are functional, :). I also pick stitched the faux wrap closure shut in a few places for security sake, ;).
And voila, a beautiful Wren in version 2, :).