Ginger Bootcut Jeans

About a day before I took my short little vacation to San Francisco I finally made the second pair of jeans I had planned last year after I made my first pair. But you know how life gets, busy!

The pattern I used was Ginger Jeans pattern by Closet Case patterns. My first pair turned out pretty awesome but a little short and a little too big. I also used cheaper denim. This time I used Cone Mills denim purchased from Threadbare Fabrics. Amazing! I cut out a size smaller this time since I’ve lost some weight. I went with a size 10 waist graded to a size 12 hip. I basted the pieces together after installing the front pockets to try them on before doing all the top stitching. So glad I took the time to repeat this step. I ended up using the 5/8″ inseam for the waist but then only 1/4″ inseam for the rest. My thighs are big from all my running. Perfect fit!

I took off 2.5″ of the inseam at the knee of the pattern and then used a 1.5″ hem. The cuffs sit just off the floor, perfect for wearing with my running shoes. I only added a 1/2″ full butt adjustment this time, didn’t change the rise at all, and interfaced the waistband. The other change I made was to decrease the bell of the flares by 5″ each so they were only 19.5″ wide for more of a boot cut. Love the look. Very happy with the fit! Next time I will have a go at the high waist skinny jeans.

As always, very impressed with Closet Case patterns instructions. My fly turned out much better this second time around. And this Cone Mills denim is the bomb! They feel wonderful and barely bag out at all. I swear I wore these 4 days straight after I made them, ;).

Front View


Side View


Back view


Pretty proud of my back pockets, :). Used some free templates provided by Closet Case. Someone mentioned they look like Wonder Woman symbols so these are now my Wonder Woman jeans.

Advertisements

Sophie Swimsuit = Awesome!


Finally writing up this post! Been on vacation, which was wonderful. And I got to wear my new swim suit!

I’ve been wanting to make a bikini with a foam cup bra top and hadn’t gotten around to trying one of my bra patterns yet. Then I saw the Sophie Swimsuit by Closet Case Patterns and I just knew I needed to have it. Loved the top and the high waist bikini bottoms and the slimming style of the color blocking option.

Ordered my floral print from The Fabric Fairy. Amazing selection of fabrics, was so hard to chose! The navy I had leftover from another project, I’d post a link but Fabric.com no longer carries it, :(. Was the Enso swimsuit Lycra or something like that. I thought it paired perfectly with the floral. Closet Case patterns recommends bra lining in the cradle of the top but as I didn’t have any, I used some supplex from a bra I had made which was pretty un-stretchy. As for thread I just used polyester and serged all of the inside seams. I already had extra long size 44 underwires in my stash and picked up some 3/8″ swimwear elastic from Jo-Ann’s and had an S hook from making my last swimsuit. The lining was also from Jo-Ann’s: swimsuit lining. And I ordered power mesh from The Fabric Fairy for the front center panel of the bottoms.

Heather does an amazing job with the instructions and has a video tutorial ($49 but includes a PDF version of the pattern) for anyone who wants a little extra.

Now the top was a little tricky for me as I was outside the cup range and her advice on increasing the cup size didn’t work for me. I ended up tracing the pattern size for a wire line 44 (size 20 cup #2) and grading the width out to a size 20 cup #5. It’s still a little small but pretty close!

Here is an image of my paper pattern pieces showing the original size 20 cup #2 size and the rest is the cup #5 I graded it out to. Basically I just traced the size 44 wire and then tilted the paper to add out to the wire size 50 line.


Otherwise I just followed her instructions and ended up with a pretty awesome swim suit!

I just need to either widen the straps or place them further in. As is they cause the top of the cups to gape a bit and not withstand swimming so well (fall down a bit).


Very slimming! And love the coverage of both the top and the bottoms.


And a back view of course.


Absolutely love this pattern! Plan to make another with some cat fabric I have leftover from another project, :).


Photos were taken at Oak Street Beach while on vacation in Chicago. Photos taken courtesy of my boyfriend, :).