Been awhile since I posted. Been super busy! I’m making bridesmaids dresses for a friend’s wedding (coming up in 2 weeks!), teaching, and working on my master’s…and training for a half-marathon.
Of course, I needed to make a new running skirt for the half-marathon, ;). 1) I’ve lost about 15 pounds, 2) Because I can, ;).
I went with my Jalie 2796 pattern. Had to go back down to a size V. I didn’t have time for the fancy pleated version I made the first 2 times but I feel the original pattern shows off the guitars better. The fabric is the performance knit from Spoonflower. Love it! I used a contrasting teal color from a local store.
Other changes I made: lowered the waistband about 3″ so it hits right below my belly button; adding non slip elastic to the shorts leg openings; adding elastic to the waistband; and added 2 waistband pockets! This last bit was a little tricky. Used the basic construction pattern of the Sloan leggings with adjustments.
So I cut out 4 pieces of about 2 1/2″ by 4″ out of swimsuit lining so I could make 2 pockets. I made them just big enough for a gel each. First I stitched each pocket to one side of the waistband (exterior and interior waistband pieces) at the top. Then I pinned the pieces together and stitched along the top going around the pockets as I went so they didn’t get sewn shut. You can see the teal stitching along the black in the photo below. The line of stitching below the black pockets on the teal is from attaching each side separately, not stitching the two teal pieces together. Need those open at the top!
Then turned the waistband right side out and pressed the top seam well on a low heat setting.
And here you can see how the pockets looks on the inside.
And this is the pocket view from the top side.
They each fit a Gu perfectly!
I basted the bottom part of the waistband closed as per the instructions but not before I put in my elastic. I didn’t have the 2″ wide I usually use, but the 1 1-2″ I bought worked just fine. I like the extra secure fit it gives and it also helps the top waistband lay down flatter.
The rest of the skirt was constructed as usual with no issues. Now I have a new skirt for the Nashville Rock ‘n Roll half coming up this Saturday! It snuck up on me, but I feel pretty ready. Just hope the weather cooperates!
Never enough pockets! When attached the waistband I made sure the side with the elastic was against my body and the pocket pouch was facing towards the outside waistband, if that makes sense.
Pic of me wearing it of course, ;). This was taken during a 5k I did a couple weeks ago, had to give it a few test runs first of course.